Modern Art & Design Auction
October 27, 1996
The October 27, 1996 20th Century Decorative Arts Auction was held at the Chait Gallery in Beverly Hills. LAMA offered choice pieces of furniture, sculpture, ceramics, glass, and decorative art. This auction featured 222 lots of works by designers such as Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, George Nelson, and Charles & Ray Eames.
Auction highlights included a Hans Wegner teak dining set with eight “The” chairs with leather cusions (Lot 102 est. $600 – 800, realized $2,475), a George Nelson dining table with rectangular rosewood top with painted aluminum “swag-leg” supports (Lot 48 est. $2,200 – 2,500, realized $2,475), a Richard Neutra set of four dining chairs (Lot 16 est. $5,000 – 6,000, realized $6,050), and a Joe Colombo “Elda” lounge chair (Lot 183 est. $1,000 – 1,200, realized $1,320).
- Lots 88, 89, 90
- Charles and Ray Eames
- Pair of Chairs and Table
- Chairs: “LCW”, moulded plywood seat and back, raised on two bent plywood legs and neck. Original black aniline die finish. Evans Label. See “The Herman Miller Collection”, G. Nelson, Herman Miller Inc., Zeeland MI, 1948, p. 60
- Table: “CTW-3″, circular moulded plywood seat and back, raised on two bent plywood legs raised on four bent plywood tapering legs. Original back aniline die finish. Evans Label. See “The Herman Miller Collection”, G. Nelson, Herman Miller Inc., Zeeland MI, 1948, p. 67
- Provenance: Regula Fybel, Dion Neutra
- Estimate $2,700 – $3,600
- Realized $3,795
- Lot 18
- Warren McArthur
- Lounge Chair
- Low tubular aluminium frame and joints with circular rubber feet.
- This chair is from the Arizona Biltmore Hotel, Phoenix, AZ. Built by Albert Chase McArthur with Frank Lloyd Wright in 1928, much of the interior furniture was ordered from Warren McArthur who was also a partner in the resort.
- Estimate $600 – $800
- Realized $1,760
- Lot 19 & 20
- Hendrik Van Keppel-Taylor Green buffet and Italian clubchair
- Buffet: large light mahogany cabinet with two folding doors, interior shelves and drawers. Brown Saltman label.
- Clubchair: red upholstered frame raised on four angular tapering brass legs.
- Estimate $900 – $1,200
- Realized $1,265