Tag Archives: LAMA’s 50th Auction
After selling about 70% of the 509 lots offered in the October 17th Modern Art & Design Auction, most people ask us, “What happens to the other 30% of the lots that did not sell?”
Well, we offer them at reserve plus the buyer’s premium, so there’s no competing with other bidders. Therefore, you can get these pieces at the lowest prices possible, now!
Check …Continue Reading >> October 21, 2010
Posted in Auction Highlights, LAMA Current Events | Tagged LAMA's 50th Auction | Leave a comment
The auction was a big success. There were more people in the room than ever before. Over 250 registered bidders competed for furniture and fine art, for over 5 consecutive hours on Sunday. Extra staff were needed to handle all of the phone bids, with as many as up to 12 people on certain lots bidding on the telephone. Buyers were happy with the prices for …Continue Reading >> October 19, 2010
Posted in Auction Highlights | Tagged LAMA's 50th Auction | 1 Comment
TODAY IS AUCTION DAY!
We are very excited to finally see over 500 lots of fantastic fine art, furniture and design go up on the auction block.
The auction starts promptly at 12pm Noon (Pacific).
Come to see the auction live: 16145 Hart St. Van Nuys, CA 91406
Border Grill Taco Truck will be catering (yum).
If you cannot be here in person, …Continue Reading >> October 17, 2010
Posted in LAMA Current Events, LAMA Exclusive | Tagged LAMA's 50th Auction | Leave a comment
Ode to a Sunny Day After examining a few works for condition report requests today, I noticed that there are four works of art in the auction which left me longing for a relaxing day at the beach.
Alas, I have been cooped up in a nondescript warehouse in The Valley for days in preparation for this auction and have not seen the ocean in …Continue Reading >> October 16, 2010
Posted in Buzzworthy Items, Peter's Auction Picks, Words from Peter Loughrey | Tagged LAMA's 50th Auction, Larry Cohen, Massimo Vitali, Shirl Goedike, Wayne Thiebaud | Leave a comment
Numbers and Letters Today there seemed to be a lot of previewers asking about three artists in particular. Jasper Johns, Ed Ruscha, and Robert Indiana. All of which are represented in this auction with superb icons of text-based art.
Ed Ruscha’s Vowel #58 U (Lot 61) seems to keep coming up on everyone’s list of most desired works for this sale. For his 1996 show …Continue Reading >> October 15, 2010
Posted in Buzzworthy Items, Peter's Auction Picks, Words from Peter Loughrey | Tagged Edward Ruscha, Jasper Johns, LAMA's 50th Auction, Robert Indiana | Leave a comment
Josef & Anni Albers Many people are aware of the Albers as husband and wife, teachers, and artists. Josef’s most iconic works are his “homage to the square” images, which seem to have heralded the popular style of Hard Edge painting, which arrived decades later. Anni, who is most known for her textiles, was also an accomplished print maker. It seems today that the Albers’ …Continue Reading >> October 14, 2010
Posted in Buzzworthy Items, Peter's Auction Picks, Words from Peter Loughrey | Tagged Anni Albers, Josef Albers, LAMA's 50th Auction, Peter Loughrey | Leave a comment
After 50 auctions Peter has seen a lot.
Check out his interview on You Have Been Here Sometime.
Peter talks about the idea of collecting, his personal highlights at LAMA, as well as his picks for the current auction.
Continue Reading >> October 13, 2010
Posted in LAMA in the Press, Words from Peter Loughrey | Tagged LAMA's 50th Auction, Peter Loughrey | Leave a comment
Eames vs. Borsani My two picks today are the Eames Sofa Compact (Lot 376) and the Borsani Lounge Chair (Lot 354).
We happened to place these pieces near each other in the preview and I was struck with how well they work together. Each were developed around the …Continue Reading >> October 12, 2010
Posted in Buzzworthy Items, Peter's Auction Picks, Words from Peter Loughrey | Tagged Charles and Ray Eames, LAMA's 50th Auction, Osvaldo Borsani | Leave a comment